Sunday, May 4, 2014

Poppy

Saturday May 3, 2014

It's not a well known fact that my Trolls actually bicker. Bicker about their wardrobe, who will sneak into the fridge for Lemonade. 
FYI - Trolls are quite fond of Lemonade. 
My brood bickers mostly of how to be chosen to go on outings with me.  I let them work it out for themselves. 384 of them is a battle I'm not willing to get in the middle of. Have you ever been scratched by hard plastic nubby fingers? You wouldn't like it either.
The bickering got out of hand when I was invited a few weeks ago to see Gladys Knight. No Pips this time. Through the hair pulling and gouging of eyes, one Troll remained silent. Poppy. Poppy Canbya Papaveraceae. Too much to spell and say so she just goes by Poppy. Her smile is infectious, her hair sprouts in all directions and Poppy loves to wear frocks with flowers.


So Poppy hopped into my purse and off we go to see Gladys Knight and the Saints Unified Voices. Joining us are friends  Robin (thank you for the invitation),Carol, Jeanette and her husband Dave. 


I wasn't aware that Sister Gladys has directed this choir for eleven years. This is Gladys Knight's mission. Bring her testimony and uplifting hymns to all. No "Midnight Train to Georgia", but that was alright. The last song Gladys lead us all in a rendition of "Amen". How many can say they sung with Gladys Knight. How many more can say "My troll sang along with Gladys Knight!"


Here we are waiting in line at the church to see Gladys. This is my friend Carol. And of course we had to wait for Poppy to 'extend' her hair for the photograph.
Poppy had her own chair in front of me when the concert began. She swayed, extended her arms in joyous praise and if you listened closely, you could here her sing slightly off key.
No photographs, recordings, autographs or surrounding Gladys. Understandable. She had three shows this day and two more the following afternoon. She would have been swarmed by the 1,000 plus per show.  Gladys is all of five foot wonderful. 5'4 actually and for 69 years of age, she still looks amazing!!!

Because Poppy behaved herself and didn't start banging on the bus, I would treat her to her favorite meal of Mexican food on Sunday.

How adorable is this? A place for the youngsters to enter the restaurant at Cafe Del Rio.


Poppy ordered The El Matador Platter
consisting of Charro Beans, Mexican Potatoes which tasted better with honey, Puff (Daddy) Taco, Cheese Enchilada and Beef Flauta. The homemade Lemonade was impressive.
Told ya Trolls love Lemonade.

The Jalapeno Pepper was about the same size as Poppy. She was told if she could eat 3/4 of her dinner, she could take a spin on the Kiddy Kar at the front of the restaurant.

That's my girl!!!

                    Poppy had a magnificent weekend with me.  
                        I think I will take her out more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment